18-Year-Old Fatally Shoots Fort Worth Father Of 5 During Layover At DFW Airport


A family in Fort Worth is looking for answers after their loved one was fatally shot in what they think was a random act of violence.

36-year-old Lee Douglas was a father and worked as an electrician. He was working at the Refresco Beverages warehouse off of Trinity Boulevard in Fort Worth, Texas, when he was shot while on break as he was pulling an overnight shift.

Authorities say that on May 30, close to 2:30 a.m., Lee walked to his vehicle in the warehouse parking lot when someone shot him. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office stated that he was shot in his back and face.

“My dad was a big family man…, I was just like why? My dad doesn’t do anything to nobody,” stated 18-year-old Nevaeh Douglas, Lee’s daughter.

Documents show that there was one other victim and several witnesses. Lee was transported to a medical facility but died from his wounds.

On May 31, a day following the shooting, 18-year-old Decan Medeiros of Kettle Falls, Washington, was apprehended.

On June 13, Medeiros was charged with murder. He is also facing charges of aggravated assault and three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Authorities said that Medeiros got to DFW Airport at about 6 p.m. on May 29. He is said to have made entry into the warehouse through a door for a short moment during the occurrence.

Arrest documents show that authorities arrested Medeiros at 2400 Cypress Street, which is the location of the Presbyterian Night Shelter in Fort Worth. He was later taken to the police department for questioning.

A relative of Medeiros said that the 18- year-old had no connections to North Texas and had only been in the area for a layover at DFW Airport on the evening of May 29, which was hours prior to the shooting taking place.

They added that the teen stated that he was going to fly back to Washington after a trip for work. The shooting happened less than four miles from the airport. Medeiros’s relatives stated that they filed a missing persons report and just found out about the murder charge on Thursday. They said that they were shocked and concerned, and they would like answers, as well.

No firearm has been found during the investigation, authorities added.

A GoFundMe fundraiser has been set up to assist Lee’s relatives with his medical and funeral costs.

“I really just want justice for my dad,” Nevaeh stated.

Investigators say that there is no evidence that the shooting was planned, and an investigation is continuing.

1 Comment

Leave a Response