Dallas Couple Spends Christmas In Jail For A Murder They Didn’t Commit


On Dec.19, at around 6 a.m., Rubi Esparanza believed that someone was attempting to break in her home. Thus, she woke her husband up.

They then learned that it was actually the police. With rifles drawn, they were there to arrest the couple as the police had warrants.

The warrants were for 33-year-old Esparanza and 50-year-old Basilio Tovar for the death of an acquaintance. Now, police say that the couple, in fact, wasn’t involved.

“Upon further investigation, it was determined that they did not commit the crime. We can confirm that the paperwork has been filed for the charges to be dropped,” the Dallas Police said in a statement.

They added that they now have a person of interest in custody.

Authorities had thought that the couple killed Xavier Hernandez-Hankins. He had been seeing Tovar’s sister.

On Nov 5, they all met up at a bar in Oak Cliff. This was until Hernandez-Hankins became angry and left the location on foot.

At about 1 a.m., a shooting call came in. Hernandez-Hankins was found shot to death. The couple says that they weren’t aware that he had been shot, and authorities never questioned them before they were apprehended.

The arrest warrants note that camera footage depicted a black Silverado with chrome lining, chrome wheels, and a bed covering coming up next to the victim and then taking off.

It was reported that the couple’s truck looks the same. However, the rims weren’t the same as the suspected shooter’s.

The couple added that as police interrogated them, they also tried to get them to turn against each other but were unsuccessful.

However, the couple was still placed in the Dallas County Jail.

After new information and tips were received, the couple’s cousin, who works at a law office, went to the police station on Dec.22 to deliver the new leads. Within one day, the couple was freed.

Now, Esparanza has lost her job, their truck and phones are still in the possession of police, and their home has been searched.

Esparanza was released on Thursday after being in jail for 10 days. Tovar was freed on Friday.

“He just called me to let me know that he was sorry for making a mistake,” Tovar said of the call he received from a detective.

Authorities say that they are now looking into how they came to apprehend two innocent people.

“Nobody should go through this. Police should really do a better job,” Esparanza said.


  1. I agree with Brittani, sue the pants of of them- make them pay. It’s already bad that the justice system is already failing in so many ways, but piss-poor, half-ass investigating is inexcusable!

  2. Yes sue! They think its ok to invade somebodys life without fully investigating and think that an ‘ok’ is good enough! No to many people are jailed on wrongful imprisonment

  3. It’s oleptro 100 mg a un precio asequible en Lima pity
    you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this excellent blog!
    I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

Leave a Response