Last Suspect Given 60-Year Prison Sentence For Deadly Fire That Killed 5 Family Members


The third and last suspect charged in the 2020 fatal fire that killed 5 family members received his punishment on Tuesday.

In May, now 20-year-old Kevin Bui pleaded guilty to two counts of second- degree murder. Because of the plea, 60 other counts were dropped. A separate drug matter that Bui was charged with while in jail was also dropped as part of the deal.

Under the plea, Bui was sentenced to 30 years in the Colorado Department of Corrections on each count. This will be served consecutively which will equal 60 years in total. Once he is released, he will have to serve 5 years on parole.

Bui is said to be the ringleader of the plan to set the home on Truckee Street, in Denver, ablaze in the middle of the night. It was supposedly an act of revenge due to a stolen phone. But, later it was learned that the wrong residence was targeted.

Eight people were inside the residence when the fire started on August 5, 2020. Five people were killed. This included Djibril Diol, 29, his wife, Adja, 23, and their 2-year-old daughter. Also killed were Djibril’s sister, 25-year-old Hassan, and her 6-month-old daughter. Another couple and their daughter survived the blaze by jumping out of a second-story window.

In court, Bui took full responsibility for his actions.

On the morning of the occurrence, surveillance footage from a house close by depicted three people in hoodies and masks approaching the house and then running from it. About two minutes after they left the scene, the home was up in flames.

In January 2021, Bui, Gavin Seymour, and Dillon Siebert were apprehended, following an investigation. While looking into the matter, detectives found that the month prior, Bui had been robbed by someone who was trying to purchase a gun from him. As that robbery happened, his phone, shoes, and other possessions were stolen.

Bui had utilized an app on his iPad to find his stolen phone which came back to 5312 Truckee Street. He then set a plan in motion to retrieve his belongings, detectives noted. However, their efforts were aimed at the wrong residence, and it did not belong to the individual who had robbed Bui.

In January, Seymour pleaded guilty to another count of second-degree murder, and 60 other counts against him were dropped, as well. In March, he was given 40 years in the Department of Corrections.

In December 2022, Siebert pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and use of a weapon during a violent crime. He was sentenced as an adult to seven years in Youth Offender Services. He will also have to serve 3 years in the Division of Youth Services.

Seibert was also given a suspended sentence of 26 years in Youth Offender Services. He will only have to serve that if he does not complete the terms of his seven-year sentence that he is serving right now.

Leave a Response