Zion Lee Watson, 1, went into cardiac arrest at Bumblebee Daycare in Greenville County, South Carolina.
Police said they received a call Monday morning about a child choking. Zion was declared deceased at a hospital an hour later.
Authorities stated no foul play is believed to have occurred.
A spokesperson for the family stated, during a news conference, that the mother, Shadavia Rosemond, began working at the daycare on Thursday. Zion started attending on Monday. When she went to see how her son was doing, she observed him crying in a high chair. She then summoned a family member to pick him up.
However, an hour later, a worker brought her son’s limp body to her, stating that he had choked on goldfish crackers. Now, the family has questions they want answered.
It was said that the child was given to a number of workers before any one performed cpr.