On Friday, a man in Florida had his election fraud charges dropped. He is the first of 20 people, who Governor Ron DeSantis said in August had been charged with voter fraud, to beat the case.
On August 18, DeSantis stated that Florida’s newly funded Office of Election Crimes and Security were “opening salvo.” This would be to crack down on voter fraud. Now, the ruling by a judge in Miami may lead the way for other motions and rulings in the other 19 election fraud cases to be dismissed.
Robert Lee Wood was facing one count of making a false affirmation on a voter application. He also faced one count of voting as an unqualified elector. His charges were dismissed on the basis that the prosecutor didn’t have appropriate jurisdiction.
Wood was looking at up to five years in prison and $5,000 in fines and fees. This was after claims that he voted unlawfully in the 2020 election.
On Friday, a judge found that the statewide prosecutor didn’t have jurisdiction over one case in Miami. Those prosecutors are trying all of the fraud cases that were handed to them in August.
In 2020, it was announced that 20 people who had casted their ballots had been previous convicted of murder or felony sex offenses. They had all been sent voting cards by the state. Several of them stated that they thought they were eligible.
Woods is one of those people as he had been charged with second-degree murder in 1991. He said that he was approached by a voter’s rights advocate at a grocery store in 2020. He stated that he never filled out the form but just signed it.